Auditor Home Elections Financial Services Licensing Recording Search Our Site Contact Us Locate Us Return to Thurston County
Thurston County Recording


Map Name Reservation Process
What is a Map Name Reservation?

When subdividing property which will be assigned a name, it is required to reserve the subdivision name with the Thurston County Auditor's Office. This will ensure that no two subdivisions are named similarly or the same, per RCW 65.04.050.

The most common named subdivisions are plats and condominiums. At times, surveys, large lot subdivisions, and short plats have been named.  If you have assigned a name to your subdivision, then you must go through this process.

What would happen if I don't go through this process?
  • Best case scenario- The recording of your map may be delayed.
  • Worst case scenario- The finished products of your project must be completely redone such as:
    • Maps
    • Subdivision signs
    • Street signs
    • CC&R's
How do I check to see if the name I want to use is available?
  • The best way to do this is to check our online index (by clicking on the icon below) to see if there is a subdivision already recorded with the same or similiar name you have in mind.

Public Records Index Online

My subdivision name has been approved by my jurisdiction.  How is this different?

Each jurisdiction must approve the names for maps within their boundaries.  By statute, maps may not have the same or similiar names throughout the county, regardless of jurisdiction. This process prohibits a map approved with the same name by multiple jurisdictions.

Once your subdivision name is reserved by our office, we will not allow another map with the same or similiar name to be recorded while your reservation is current.

How do I get the Plat Name Reservation Form?

You may download the form in both MS Word or PDF formats:

The completed form may be faxed to (360) 786-5223 Attn: Marie Pearson,

or mailed or delivered to:

Thurston County Auditor
Attn: Marie Pearson
2000 Lakeridge Drive SW
Olympia, WA 98502

What happens after I submit my form?

The Auditor's Office will evaluate the name to ensure there is no other subdivision with the same or similiar name. Please allow two weeks for the approval process. Once your name is approved a Plat Name Reservation Certificate will be issued. This certificate is valid for one year from approval date and MUST accompany the map when submitted for recording.

The subdivision process can be lengthy. Reserve the subdivision name early to prevent other developers from using the same or similar name.

What should I do if I change the subdivision name?

Please contact our office if your subdivision name changes prior to recording. It is up to you to notify us of a change and request a new reservation certificate.