Facebook Twitter 
Auditor HomeElectionsFinancial ServicesLicensingRecordingContact UsLocate Us
Marriage License and Ceremony Information
  Marriage License Application Requirements
  • Both applicants must be at least 18 years of age or older.
  • Both applicants must sign in the presence of either a deputy auditor or a notary public. A Power of Attorney may not be used as a substitute.
  • Government issued picture identification is required showing birth date.
  • If one or both applicants are 17 years of age they must be accompanied by one parent or legal custodian that provides their consent.
  • If one or both applicants are under the age of 17 they must obtain a court order from Juvenile Court.
  • There is no residency requirement.
  • If in a domestic partnership a marriage application can be obtained ONLY if the parties to the marriage are the same as the parties to the state registered domestic partnership.
  • If either applicant is divorced, proof of the divorce is not required but the divorce must be final.
  • Application must be made a minimum of 3 days prior to the marriage date as there is a 3 day waiting period. Per statute no exceptions can be made. The 3 day waiting period begins on the date the application is finalized.
  • The Marriage License is valid for 60 days.
  • To expedite the process complete the application online then visit the Auditor's office to finalize the license.
  • Click here for office hours.
Online Marriage Application
  Marriage License Fees
  What is the cost to apply for a marriage license?
  Payment is due at the time of application. You may pay with: 
  • Cash
  • Check
  • Money Order
  • Visa
  • Mastercard
  Is the marriage license fee refundable?
  Fees are established and authorized by the Washington State Legislature. Fees are distributed as follows:  
  • $15.00 Family Services
  • $10.00 Displaced Homemaker Program
  • $ 8.00 Family Court
  • $ 8.00 General Fund
  • $ 5.00 Child Abuse Program
  • $ 4.00 Centennial Records Preservation Program
  • $ 6.00 Heritage Center
  • $ 4.00 Records Preservation Fund
  • State Archives
    • $6.00
  • $ 2.00 Preservation Fund - County Historical Program
  Where do I go to apply for a marriage license?

A marriage license may be obtained from any county seat in Washington State. Keep in mind each counties' fees may vary. Also, the marriage certificate will be recorded in the county in which the license was applied for.

To obtain a license in Thurston County, complete the online application then visit the Auditor's Office to complete the process.

  Online Marriage Application  

Thurston County Auditor's Office
Building 1, Rm. 106
2000 Lakeridge Drive SW
Olympia, WA 98502

(driving directions and map)

       Top of Page  
  The Marriage Ceremony
  How should the ceremony be preformed? RCW 26.04.070 states:
  In the solemnization of marriage no particular form is required, except that the parties thereto shall assent or declare in the presence of the minister, priest, imam, rabbi, or similar official of any religious organization, or judicial officer solemnizing the same, and in the presence of at least two attending witnesses, that they take each other to be spouses.  
  Are proxy marriages allowed? 


  Where can the marriage license be used?
A Washington State license can only be used in the State of Washington.
  Who may perform the marriage ceremony?
  State law prescribes who may perform marriage ceremonies. RCW 26.04.050 states:
The following named officers and persons, active or retired, are hereby authorized to solemnize marriages, to wit: Justices of the supreme court, judges of the court of appeals, judges of the superior courts, supreme court commissioners, court of appeals commissioners, superior court commissioners, any regularly licensed or ordained minister or any priest, imam, rabbi, or similar official of any religious organization, and judges of courts of limited jurisdiction as defined in RCW 3.02.010.
Officiant information:
  • Washington State does not license officials of any religious organizations, this is a function of the religious affiliation.
  • Officials of religious organizations from any state may perform ceremonies.
  • Couples may not officiate their own ceremony.
  Top of Page  
  Prohibited marriages
  RCW 26.04.020 states: 
  (1) Marriages in the following cases are prohibited:  
(a) When either party thereto has a spouse or registered domestic partner living at the time of such marriage, unless the registered domestic partner is the other party to the marriage; or

(b) When the spouses are nearer of kin to each other than second cousins, whether of the whole or half blood computing by the rules of the civil law.
  (2) It is unlawful for any person to marry his or her sibling, child, grandchild, aunt, uncle, niece, or nephew.

(3) A marriage between two persons that is recognized as valid in another jurisdiction is valid in this state only if the marriage is not prohibited or made unlawful under subsection (1)(a) or (2) of this section.

(4) A legal union, other than a marriage, between two individuals that was validly formed in another state or jurisdiction and that provides substantially the same rights, benefits, and responsibilities as a marriage, does not prohibit those same two individuals from obtaining a marriage license in Washington.

(5) No state agency or local government may base a decision to penalize, withhold benefits from, license, or refuse to contract with any religious organization based on the opposition to or refusal to provide accommodations, facilities, advantages, privileges, service, or goods related to the solemnization or celebration of a marriage.

(6) No religiously affiliated educational institution shall be required to provide accommodations, facilities, advantages, privileges, service, or goods related to the solemnization or celebration of a marriage, including a use of any campus chapel or church. A religiously affiliated educational institution shall be immune from a civil claim or cause of action, including a claim pursuant to chapter 49.60 RCW, based on its refusal to provide accommodations, facilities, advantages, privileges, service, or goods related to the solemnization or celebration of a marriage under this subsection shall be immune for civil claim or cause of action, including a claim pursuant to chapter 49.60 RCW.
Top of Page
  Copies of marriage records
  Please Note: Marriage records are available in the Recording Department.  
  Copy fees 
  • Photo copies are $1.00 per page
  • Certified copies are $3.00 for the first page and $1.00 for each additional page per document
  How to obtain copies: 
  If you would like to order photo or certified copies, we accept Mastercard and Visa over the phone, (360) 786-5405, or send a written request to:  
Thurston County Auditor's Office
Attn: Copy Request
2000 Lakeridge Dr. SW
Olympia, WA 98502

  Public Disclosure
  All marriage records are a matter of public record. The one exception to this is for one or both parties to be enrolled in the Washington State's Address Confidentiality Program.

Once a marriage has been recorded it cannot be removed from our records.

All marriage licenses issued in Thurston County are printed in the local newspaper.
Top of Page
Office Hours       Holiday Closures
  Elections Voter Services Elections Ballot Processing Center Financial Services Licensing & Recording Main Office
  2000 Lakeridge Dr. SW
Bldg. 1 Rm. 118
Olympia, WA 98502

Phone: 360.786.5408
2905 29th Ave. SW, Ste. E,F
Tumwater, WA 98512

Phone: 360.786.5408
Fax: 360.705.3518
929 Lakeridge Dr. SW, Rm. 226
Olympia, WA 98502

Phone: 360.786.5402
Fax: 360.357.2481
2000 Lakeridge Dr. SW
Bldg. 1 Rm. 106
Olympia, WA 98502

Licensing: 360.786.5406
Recording: 360.786.5405
Admin: 360.786.5224
Fax: 360.786.5223
  Deaf & Hard-of-Hearing: Washington Relay 711