Be The One ... to Mentor
The Be the One Mentoring Coalition is a collaborative effort
to promote mentoring of youth in Thurston and Mason Counties.
The Coalition is a group of agencies who are united in an effort
to recruit and support volunteers, raise awareness about the
need for mentors, and to convey the benefits that mentoring
programs provide to the community.
What is a Mentor?
A mentor is a caring, adult friend who devotes time to a
young person with a commitment to provide guidance and support
for the mentee to develop their fullest potential based on their
vision for the future.
- Improved school achievement
- Increased graduation rates
- Increase in self-esteem
- Increased school attendance
- Decrease in discipline referrals
- Decrease in early pregnancy rates
- Increase in securing entry-level jobs
- Increase in
community service activities
Impact of Mentoring
The Commonwealth Fund's survey (McLearn,
Colasanto, and Schoen, 1998) reported the following:
- 62% of students improved their
- 52% of students skipped less school
- 48% of students improved their grades
- 49% of students got into less trouble
- 47% of students got into less trouble
out of school
- 45% of students reduced their substance
- 35% of students improved family
More than 200,000 Washington
children could benefit from having a caring adult in their life.
Source: Washington State Mentors
We're here to help, but they need your help too.