Heritage Grant Program
The Thurston County Heritage Grant Program provides resources to
assist in the collection, preservation, and interpretation of Thurston
County’s heritage. On behalf of the Board of County Commissioners,
the Thurston County Historic Commission administers the Thurston County
Heritage Grant Program to assist projects that promote the
public’s access to County history.
The program is funded with a portion of document recording fees
collected by the Thurston County Auditor. The allocation of these
fees for projects that “promote historical preservation or historical
programs, which may include preservation of historic documents” is
authorized under RCW 36.22.170. The revenues accrue to a dedicated
fund and may not be used for any purposes other than those stipulated in
2018 Thurston County Heritage Grant Program
2018 Heritage Grant Applications will be accepted
July 14, 2017 through August 31, 2017.
How to apply:
- Grant Program Guidelines: Review the Guidelines for information
on eligibility, application process, review process and additional
- Application Form: The form may be filled out online or printed
and filled out by hand. Download the latest
Adobe Reader to allow you to save information you have typed
into the form.
- Submit the following:
- ONE signed original and 5 copies. If support materials
are needed (as described on page one of the application form),
submit one original and 5 copies.
- The application deadline for 2018 is August 31, 2017
at 4:00 p.m. Applications must be postmarked or
hand delivered to the Permit Assistance Center by this date.
The Permit Assistance Center is open Monday through Friday 8
a.m. until 4:00 p.m.
- Mail / deliver application packets to:
Thurston County Heritage Grant Program
Building One, Second Floor, Permit Assistance Center
2000 Lakeridge Drive SW
Olympia, WA 98502-1045
- Staff Contacts:
Grant Application Summary
Awards Granted for 2017
The Thurston County Historic Commission received and ranked eight
applications for 2015 historic preservation grants. Six projects
were awarded various amounts of grant funding for 2015 as listed below
- City of Lacey / Lacey Museum - Image and catalogue the first and
only city newspaper the Lacey Leader, Phase II. $5,000
- City of Tenino - Replace the northern portion of the Tenino
Quarry House roof. $5,000
- City of Olympia - A reconnaissance-level survey of 75 blocks of
historic downtown Olympia. $5,000
- Olympia Tumwater Foundation - Catalog and re-house 292 pieces of
Olympia Brewing Company advertising artwork dating from the 1930s -
- Woman's Club of Olympia - Repair column bases that support the
porch and balconay at the Woman's Club of Olympia.
- Brighton Park Grange - Replace electrical box and update wiring
in the main hall. $2,600
- Centennial Garden Foundation - Adding several varieties of well
researched historic roses know to have grown in Thurston County
during the time of statehood. $2,000
Cami Petersen, Land Use Clerk, Thurston County Resource Stewardship
Department, 2000 Lakeridge Drive SW Olympia, WA 98502.
Phone: (360) 754-3355 ext. 6348. Fax: (360) 754-2939. TTY/TDD call 711 or