Heritage Grant Program
The Thurston County Heritage Grant Program provides resources to
assist in the collection, preservation, and interpretation of Thurston
County’s heritage. On behalf of the Board of County Commissioners,
the Thurston County Historic Commission administers the Thurston County
Heritage Grant Program to assist projects that promote the
public’s access to County history.
The program is funded with a portion of document recording fees
collected by the Thurston County Auditor. The allocation of these
fees for projects that “promote historical preservation or historical
programs, which may include preservation of historic documents” is
authorized under RCW 36.22.170. The revenues accrue to a dedicated
fund and may not be used for any purposes other than those stipulated in
2017 Thurston County Heritage Grant Program
2017 Heritage Grant Applications will be accepted
July 15, 2016 through August 31, 2016.
How to apply:
- Grant Program Guidelines: Review the Guidelines for information
on eligibility, application process, review process and additional
- Application Form: The form may be filled out online or printed
and filled out by hand. Download the latest
Adobe Reader to allow you to save information you have typed
into the form.
- Submit the following:
- ONE signed original and 5 copies. If support materials
are needed (as described on page one of the application form),
submit one original and 5 copies.
- The application deadline for 2017 is August 31, 2016
at 12:30 p.m. Applications must be postmarked or
hand delivered to the Permit Assistance Center by this date.
The Permit Assistance Center is open Monday through Friday 8
a.m. until 12:30 p.m.
- Mail / deliver application packets to:
Thurston County Heritage Grant Program
Building One, Second Floor, Permit Assistance Center
2000 Lakeridge Drive SW
Olympia, WA 98502-1045
- Staff Contacts:
Awards Granted for 2016
The Thurston County Historic Commission received and ranked eight
applications for 2015 historic preservation grants. Six projects
were awarded various amounts of grant funding for 2015 as listed below
- Sand Man Foundation - Repair the engine blown head gasket.
- South Thurston County Historical Society - Upgrade displays,
signage, and artifact storage space upgrade. $5,000
- City of Lacey / Lacey Museum - Image and catalogue the first and
only city newspaper the Lacey Leader. $5,000
- Olympia Historical Society / Bigelow House Museum - Resovate the
upstairs of the Bigelow House and create interpretive panels. $5,000
- Olympia Tumwater Foundation - Complete processing the Schmidt
House historical photographs for preservation and public access. $5,000
- Gate Community Club - Repair the ceiling, back porch, and
preserve historic documents at the Historic Gate City Schoolhouse.
- Pacific NW Archaeological Services - Provide public outreach for
the Archeological Field School at the historic George Bush
homestead, and help fund the second season excavation. $5,000
Cami Petersen, Land Use Clerk, Thurston County Resource Stewardship
Department, 2000 Lakeridge Drive SW Olympia, WA 98502.
Phone: (360) 754-3355 ext. 6348. Fax: (360) 754-2939. TDD: (360)