National Flood Insurance Program
The National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) is offered through the
Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) to communities who wish to
participate. Thurston County participates in the program, which means
properties have the opportunity to purchase flood insurance through
NFIP. It also means that Thurston County's development regulations
are based on FEMA requirements.
Through mitigation and preparedness actions, Thurston County has
earned a 25% discount for flood insurance rates available to residents
in the unincorporated areas. This translates into an an average annual
savings of $238 per property.
Flood Insurance Facts
- Damage to homes from floods is not covered by homeowner’s
- NFIP insurance covers both structural and contents coverage even
if it is not declared a federal disaster.
- NFIP is offered through private insurance companies.
- If the home is in a Special Flood Hazard Area NFIP will be
required to secure mortgage loans from federally insured banks and
- Federal disaster assistance does not pay for damages caused by
flooding. Federal disaster assistance offers loans to help cover
flood damage not compensation for losses. The loans are only offered
when the President formally declares a disaster, which occurs in
less than 10% of all weather emergencies in the U.S.
- NFIP offers insurance that covers damages due to groundwater
- NFIP is available to renters as well.
- Contact your homeowner’s insurance carrier to find out if they
carry NFIP flood insurance. If they don’t go to
www.floodsmart.gov type your
address and get a list of local insurance carriers that offer NFIP
- Beware there is a 30-day waiting period after the first premium
is paid before the policy is in effect.
- Call NFIP for information 1-800-638-6620 or go to
- For additional flood insurance information, go to