2013 SALARY RANGE:
$3,469 - $4,649/month
CLOSING DATE: September 13, 2013, 5:00 p.m.
Corrections Technicians are responsible for the operation of the
central control to maintain internal and perimeter security for the
Thurston County Corrections Facility. Under limited supervision,
Corrections Technicians perform a variety of technical and
administrative duties to support operations in the main facility,
correctional options programs, and minimum-security facility.
Examples of Duties (duties include but are not limited to the
- Maintains security of facility using portable audio
communication system, video cameras, alarm systems, and
monitors. Operates perimeter doors from a control console.
Screens visitors through metal detector.
- Maintains and records inmate count; adjusts count as inmates
- Provides information/assistance to the public,
professionals, staff, criminal justice personnel, and inmates.
- Issues, collects, and safeguards keys, handcuffs, emergency
equipment, and ID badges.
- Receives, accounts for, stores, issues, and disposes of
- Processes inmate mail and tracks indigent letters. Signs for
- Calculates payments. Receives, counts, and accounts for
funds. Issues receipts and makes entries into funds accounting
Majority of duties are performed inside a secure building.
Incumbents may work in an office setting or in an environment where
there are various tones and voices present simultaneously and
constantly. Work involves standing for long periods and using rapid
motor skills to move from one control to another.
The Thurston County Corrections Facility operates on a 24/7 basis
and incumbents are required to work various hours to include
weekends and holidays.
- Must have a High School Diploma or G.E.D.
- Must be a US Citizen with the ability to read, write, and
speak the English language as required by RCW 41.14.100.
- Must meet Thurston County Civil Service
Pre-Employment Screening Standards.
- Minimum age of 21 years at time of appointment.
- Must possess a valid Washington State Driver's License at
time of appointment.
- Acceptable score on an examination based on knowledge,
skills, and abilities.
- Must be able to operate a computer.
- Must meet the Sheriff’s Office
and be willing to submit to and pass a thorough background
investigation to include a polygraph examination and
- Preferred experience: Six months of civilian work experience
or similar military duty within the last five years in
corrections, law enforcement, emergency call taking,
dispatching, public safety support, security, or similar
Your application package must contain the following items:
Completed and signed
Thurston County Application
Additional Job History (if needed)
Completed and signed
Veteran's Scoring Criteria Declaration and supporting
Guidelines for Completing Application
How to Use the On-Line Forms
Mail your complete application package to:
Thurston County Civil Service Commission
929 Lakeridge Drive SW, Room 202
Olympia, WA 98502-6045
THURSTON COUNTY IS AN EQUAL