Thurston County's HazoHouse
What should you do with dangerous household products? Bring them to
Thurston County's HazoHouse!
HazoHouse is free for residents!
Businesses must register and pay a fee.
HazoHouse is a drive-through facility. For your own safety, please do
not walk into the HazoHouse area.
Hours and location
Now open daily: gates open from 8
a.m. to 4:45 p.m.
Closed: New Year's Day, Independence Day,
Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day.
is located at the Thurston County
Waste and Recovery Center, 2420 Hogum Bay Road NE in Lacey.
Important safety information
items for HazoHouse safely. The risk of fire, explosion and spills
exists when transporting hazardous items. Be sure to store items upright
in boxes or tubs. DO NOT bring items loose in bags! Make sure containers
are sealed and not leaking. Store acids and oxidizers separately, away
from each other and other hazardous products. Keep the items
out-of-reach of children and pets.
Accepted at HazoHouse
To determine if a product is hazardous, look for the words POISON,
DANGER, WARNING or CAUTION on the label. Please bring waste in
five-gallon containers or smaller. The following items are accepted:
- Auto products (antifreeze, brake fluid).
- Motor oil and filters. Use the self-serve station at the recycle center.
- All batteries EXCEPT standard alkaline. Limit: 3 car batteries per customer per day. Cover the contact points of
the batteries with tape, or place each battery in an individual plastic baggie. Learn more about recycling batteries.
- Oil-based paint. HazoHouse no longer accepts latex paint.
- Thinners and solvents
- Solvents and cleaning supplies
- Glues and adhesives
- Pool and hobby chemicals
- Contaminated kerosene and gasoline
- Fluorescent light tubes, yard light bulbs and their ballasts.
Limit: 10 tubes or bulbs per day per customer, and 15 ballasts per day per customer. NO broken bulbs or light tubes
taped together. Transport them in their original boxes if possible. Learn important safety
- Propane containers (20 lb. barbecue tanks or smaller). Limit: 3 propane tanks per day per customer. Accepted tanks include:
- Standard barbecue tanks
- Compact camp stove propane canisters (such as the green Coleman single-use fuel canisters)
- Small, narrow propane cylinders used by plumbers and other contractors (such as Bernz-O-Matic-branded single-use gas cylinders—includes propane, MAPP gas, and other gas combinations).
- Products containing mercury. Place thermometers in their original containers or in two plastic Ziploc bags.
NOT accepted at HazoHouse
- Latex paint. Learn how to dispose of latex paint.
- Alkaline batteries from households
- Empty or leaking containers
- Medical waste
- Explosives, flares, or fireworks
- Radioactive wastes
- Smoke detectors
- Fire extinguishers. Discharge extinguisher into a bucket or garbage bag and put in the trash.
- Computers, monitors, TVs, or electronics.
Check our WhereDoITakeMy? database to find locations to dispose of these and other items.
Call HazoHouse at (360) 867-2912 or or email