Hazardous Waste Disposal (Toxic Products)

Thurston County's WasteMobile

wastemobileThe Thurston County WasteMobile offers a convenient way to dispose of household toxic products without having to drive to HazoHouse on Hogum Bay Road. The WasteMobile is a traveling collection station where residents can dispose of household poisonous products free-of-charge.

The dates of future WasteMobile events will be posted on this web page as plans are finalized.

Please Transport Materials Safely

Keep products in original containers. Never mix different products. Make sure items are well sealed, lids tight, placed in leak-proof tub or box with absorbent material (like newspaper) to prevent spills. Transport products away from children, pets, and vehicle passenger compartments.

Items Accepted at the WasteMobile

Please bring waste in five-gallon containers or smaller. The following items will be accepted (no business-generated wastes, please):

  • Auto products (motor oil, oil filters, antifreeze, car batteries, brake fluid)
  • Oil-based paint and stains. No latex paint. Click here for tips on what to do with latex paint.
  • Thinners and solvents
  • Pesticides and herbicides
  • Glues and adhesives
  • All types of batteries. The contact points of the batteries must be covered with tape, or each battery must be placed in an individual plastic baggie. Click here for details on this requirement.
  • Cleaning supplies
  • Pool and hobby chemicals
  • Fluorescent light bulbs and tubes.
  • Contaminated kerosene and gasoline.
  • Propane containers equal to, or smaller than, the standard, 20 lb. barbecue tanks. This includes standard barbecue tanks; the compact camp stove propane canisters, (such as the green Coleman-branded single-use fuel canisters); and small, narrow propane cylinders used by plumbers and other contractors (such as the Bernz-O-Matic-branded single-use gas cylinders - includes propane, MAPP gas, and other gas combinations).

Items Not Accepted at the WasteMobile

  • Latex paint. Click here for tips on what to do with latex paint.
  • Medical wastes
  • Explosives
  • Ammunition or flares
  • Empty or leaking containers
  • Garbage
  • Business-generated wastes. (For information about business-generated wastes, please call (360) 867-2664.
  • Smoke detectors
  • Fire extinguishers
  • Computers, monitors, TVs and electronics (see our electronics page for options)
  • Household appliances (see our "Where Do I Take My? database for options.
  • Yard waste
  • Radioactive materials

Contact Us

Call Thurston County Public Works at (360) 867-2491 or or email ThurstonSolidWaste@co.thurston.wa.us.


This page last updated: