Recycling and Reuse Information


Plastic bags banned
Lacey, Olympia, Tumwater, and unincorporated Thurston County have approved ordinances banning plastic carryout bags. Learn more about the bag bans.

LeMay discontinues plastic film collection
LeMay no longer collects plastic film from the WARC recycle center or from businesses. Read this press release to learn more.

Recycle at the Waste and Recovery Center

Note: Read the labels on the recycle center bins and put only accepted items in the bin. Place materials loose in the bins -- not in paper or plastic bags. If the bins are full, DO NOT leave your materials on the ground by the bin. Come back another time or visit the Rochester or Rainier recycle centers.

Prepare your recyclables 

The recycle center at the Waste and Recovery Center accepts the following items:

  • Aluminum & tin cans
  • Glass bottles & jars
  • Newspapers
  • Paper bags
  • Paperback books
  • Magazines, catalogs & mail (windows, staples & sticky notes ok)
  • Cereal & food boxes
  • Phone books
  • Cardboard (flattened)
  • Plastic bottles, jugs & jars (neck must be narrower than the base, no lids or caps)
  • Dairy tubs & yogurt cups
  • Rigid plant pots (empty, no dirt)
  • Plastic buckets (must be clean, no lids or handles)
  • Polystyrene (also known as Styrofoamâ„¢) molded blocks and food containers.
    - Rinse or wipe food containers clean.
    - Make sure foam has the #6 recycle symbol.
    - Put foam in a clear or translucent bag.
    - Put shape/molded foam and food containers in separate bags.

    No packaging peanuts. Call 1-800-828-2214 or visit for drop-off locations.

(Use this tipsheet to prepare your recyclables.)

Free electronics recycling through E-Cycle

Recycle the following electronic items free:

  • Laptops
  • Computers & monitors
  • TVs
  • Tablets & E-readers
  • Portable DVD players
Take your items to the Goodwill donation station located next to HazoHouse. Note: The E-Cycle program is available to residents, nonprofits, small businesses, schools and local governments only.

Find other locations to take these items.

Donatation stations

Donate used clothing and household items at the on-site Goodwill station. There is also a drop box for used books.

Contact Us

Call Thurston County Public Works at (360) 867-2491 or e-mail


This page last updated: