Garbage and recycling information


Plastic bag ban now in effect
Ordinances have started in Lacey, Olympia, Tumwater, and unincorporated Thurston County banning plastic carryout bags.
Learn more about these ordinances.

Quick Links

Garbage home page

Recycling home page

Curbside Recycling Calendar (PDF)

Curbside recycling "yes/no" lists

Find your curbside garbage, recycling, and compost service hauler

Thurston County Solid Waste does not own or operate garbage or recycling hauling trucks.

Contact information

If you live within the City of Olympia, call the city for garbage and recycling service at (360) 753-8368.

Residents outside Olympia city limits should contact the following service providers:

  • Cooper Point, Steamboat Island, Butler's Cove: (360) 923-0111 or e-mail
  • Yelm/Rainier Rural Refuse: (360) 923-0111 or e-mail
  • Tenino, Rochester and the rest of southwest Thurston County: Joe's Refuse: (360) 736-4769 or e-mail
  • Bucoda: Call the Town of Bucoda to arrange for service with LeMay: (360) 278-3525
  • Lacey, Tumwater and remaining areas of unincorporated Thurston County: Pacific Disposal: (360) 923-0111 or e-mail
  • Summit Lake: Pacific Disposal: (360) 923-0111 or e-mail

The above companies are owned by Harold LeMay Enterprises, which has been purchased by Waste Connections. For more information visit LeMay's website.


Alternative cart sizes and carry out service

When you sign up for curbside garbage service, you'll automatically receive a 96-gallon recycle cart. If the cart is too large, you have the right to call your hauler and request a 64-gallon container. Thurston County ordinance requires haulers to provide this alternative size. Residents who have limited physical mobility, or have trouble accessing the curbside pickup location, can work with their haulers to find an approach that meets their needs. This may involve getting a small, 32-gallon container or carry-out service.

A few things to remember: There’s no fee to switch from a large cart to a small cart the first time, but your hauler may charge a fee for subsequent requests. Also, all carts are charged the same recycling rate, regardless of their size. Residents who request carry-out service may also pay an additional fee.

The above information applies to residents who receive curbside service from a private hauling company -- not the City of Olympia.

Ways to save money

Your trash bin might be looking rather empty these days, now that you’re doing such a great job placing materials into the recycling and compost carts. LeMay Enterprises and the City of Olympia have several cost-effective options for trash service. Both service providers offer small, medium and large garbage cans. The City of Olympia collects trash every other week, and LeMay Enterprises offers a variety of pickup schedules and cart sizes, depending on where you live. Right-size your trash service today and save!

Recycle only service

Residents who self haul their garbage and live in areas served by LeMay Enterprises can still sign up for curbside recycling for a nominal monthly fee. Call (360) 923-0111 for details and pricing.

Vehicle tow mount

Getting the carts to the public roadside collection point can be a challenge for some rural residents. Products such as the Cansporter mount into a conventional vehicle tow receiver and carts are lifted and latched in place for easy transport. Thurston County does not endorse any products but is providing this link for informational purposes only.

Bulky item pickup service

If you’re worried about getting that old mattress or broken table into your tiny compact car, have no fear! Both the City of Olympia and LeMay Enterprises pick up large, bulky items for disposal for an extra fee. City of Olympia customers should call (360) 753-8368. Pacific Disposal, Butler’s Cove and Rural Refuse Customers should call (360) 923-0111.


This page last updated: