Event Planning


LeMay discontinues plastic film collection
LeMay no longer collects plastic film from the WARC recycle center or from businesses. Read this press release to learn more.

Quick Links

Recycling and Reuse Home Page

Conference and Event Waste Reduction Tips

Borrow Event Recycling Bins

clearstreamAttend a middle-school soccer game, and you're likely to see garbage pails overflowing with sport-drink bottles, water bottles and aluminum cans.

Thanks to a grant from the Washington State Department of Ecology, Thurston County now makes ClearStream event-recycling containers for the towns, cities, universities, colleges, and high schools of Thurston County.

The containers are foldable, lightweight metal frames with plastic lids. The frames hold clear plastic bags, so it’s obvious whether people are recycling or contaminating the container with trash. To borrow containers, contact your local organization listed below.

Did you know that event recycling is now required by law? Watch the video to see what event recycling is all about and how to setup a bin. Click here for details.

How to Borrow Containers

You can now borrow event recycling containers for FREE by contacting Celebrations, the party store, 4614 Lacey Blvd SE, Lacey WA at (360) 754-7368 or www.CelebrationsStore.com. Celebrations is open Monday-Friday, 7:30 am - 5:30 pm and Saturday from 8 am - 4 pm. Click on "Recycling Kits" from their catalog. You can also contact your local jurisdiction listed below. Call or email and make a reservation before you go.

Jurisdiction Pickup Location Contact Phone
Lacey Lacey City Hall, Water Resources, 420 College Street SE, Lacey Erin Keith, Water Resource Specialist 438-2687
Olympia City of Olympia Public Works, 1401 Eastside St. SE, Olympia Kim Johnson, Program Specialist 570-5837
Rainier City of Rainier, Public Works, 600 Minnesota N, Rainier Ron Gibson, Public Works Director 446-2636
Tenino City of Tenino Public Works Office, 149 Hodgden Street South, Tenino Dave Defoe, Public Works Director 264-2368
Tumwater Maintenance Bld, 7007 Capitol Blvd SW, Tumwater Stephanie Klein, Parks & Rec. Administrative Assistant 754-4160
Yelm City of Yelm, Public Works Department, 901 Rhoton Road, Yelm Kevin Ray, Public Works Field Superv. 458-8406
South Thurston County Thurston County Public Works, 9605 Tilley Rd S, Olympia  Solid Waste staff 867-2491
Thurston County Celebrations, 4614 Lacey Blvd. SE, Lacey Dave Light, Store Manager 754-7368

Where to Dispose of Materials After Your Event

You are responsible for disposing of the materials you collect at your event. Regular curbside service is available for recycling, compost, and trash. Contact your hauler for more information and service options.

Other disposal options include:


  • Drop off items at a recycle center. You must separate bottles, cans, and paper.
  • Hire a hauler for one-time service. Contact the City of Olympia at 753-8368 or LeMay, Inc. at 486-8603.



Contact Us

Call Solid Waste staff (360) 867-2491 or e-mail Solid Waste staff.

This page last updated: