Recycling and Reuse Information


Plastic bags banned
Lacey, Olympia, Tumwater, and unincorporated Thurston County have approved ordinances banning plastic carryout bags. Learn more about the bag bans.

LeMay discontinues plastic film collection
LeMay no longer collects plastic film from the WARC recycle center or from businesses. Read this press release to learn more.

Preparing Materials for Recycling

Good for you for recycling! Click the appropriate link below to find out how to "recycle right."

If you're still unsure of what goes in the recycle cart, please call Thurston County Solid Waste at (360) 867-2491. The general rule of thumb is, "When in doubt, leave it out." Broken glass, plastic frozen-food trays, clear clam-shell food containers, and other contaminants increase recycling costs and devalue the materials.

arrow choices I'm recycling at the curb at my home.
arrow choices I'm recycling at my apartment building (also applies to condos and mobile home parks)
arrow choices I'm self-hauling materials to a Thurston County recycle center.

Contact Us

Call Thurston County Public Works at (360) 867-2491 or e-mail

This page last updated: