Frequently Asked Questions - Appeals

How long is the appeal period in 2021?

In 2011, the appeal period was expanded from 30 to 60 days from the date that value modifications were mailed. This means, if you are unable to resolve your concern with our office during the 60 days you must file your appeal on or before October 22, 2021.

What are the duties of the Thurston County Assessor?

Thurston County is on an annual valuation cycle, meaning that all real property is physically inspected at least once every six years, but is statistically updated every year. Taxable personal property must be listed and assessed each year.

The County Assessor determines current market value of taxable property in Thurston County for the purposes of property taxation. Fair market value is the amount a willing buyer would pay a willing seller when neither is under undue pressure. The Thurston County Assessor's Office uses 5 years of market arms length sales of similar properties and the replacement cost of buildings (based on the cost of current labor and material, less depreciation), to arrive at fair market value.

Where do I go to question the value placed on my property by the Assessor?

Telephone the Assessor's Office at (360) 867-2200, or come into our office in the Courthouse Complex, Building 1, at 2000 Lakeridge Drive SW Olympia, WA 98502. We will review all of our processes and the steps taken to come up with your value.

If you want to see current and past values or find out information about your property, go to the Assessor's Parcel Look-Up System (A+ Parcel Search).

How do I file an appeal?

If you believe that your assessment is above market value, you may file a petition with the County Board of Equalization, 2000 Lakeridge Drive SW, Olympia, WA 98502. Questions for the Board of Equalization should be directed to Ruth Elder, Clerk at (360) 786-5135 or by email at Appeal forms may be downloaded from the website, acquired from the Thurston County Assessor's Office, or requested in writing from the Thurston County Board of Equalization.

Click here to download an appeal form