Non-Parental Custody

A party may petition to be a custodian of a child other than his or her own child when the child is in his or her custody or when the parents are not suitable custodians.

The court may issue temporary orders for the protection of a child. At a hearing, the court may order parents to participate in treatment or services to correct problems. The Court will generally provide for safe visitation between the parents and child.

A public kiosk giving information about Non-Parental Custody matters is located on the second floor of the Family and Juvenile Courthouse.

For more information and resources, please visit Family Education and Support Services.