Environmental Health
Healthy Home Environment
Household Hazardous Materials
Household Hazardous Materials

Safe Disposal and Recycling

  Batteries  l  Fluorescent Light Bulbs  l  Holiday Recycling Tips  l

Used Motor Oil  l Drugs, Pharmaceuticals & Needles


When buying battery-powered products, choose those that operate on solar power. (Or better yet, choose ones that require no power at all.) And remember, when buying electronic toys or other portable gifts, include rechargeable batteries with them.

Most batteries can be brought to HazoHouse. However, HazoHouse no longer accepts alkaline batteries and has a limit of 3 car batteries per residential customer, per day. To find the location of a battery recycler that accepts alkaline and other batteries, refer to the Where Do I Take My?... (Solid Waste) website. Portable rechargeable batteries can also be dropped off at many retail locations throughout Thurston County. To find a location near you, see either the Where Do I Take My?... or the Call2Recycle® website. 

Some batteries (rechargeable, NiCad, lithium, silver oxide, button) can retain a charge; to prevent any problems while storing or transporting the used batteries, place them individually in a sealed plastic bag, or tape (use electrical, duct, or masking) the terminals.

Fluorescent Light Bulbs

Fluorescent lights contain mercury, a hazardous material, and cannot be disposed of in the garbage. Bring broken or spent fluorescent lights to HazoHouse for recycling. Other locations that accept mercury-containing lamps for recycling can be found by using the collection site finder at the LightRecycle website. If you break a bulb, learn how to clean it up safely [PDF].

Holiday Recycling Tips

Find out what you can do to help reduce waste during the holidays. ...more

Used Motor Oil

It's illegal in Washington to dispose of motor oil in landfills or pour it down storm drains, on the ground, or in surface waters. Learn how and where to recycle your used motor oil. ...more

Drugs, Pharmaceuticals & Needles

Drugs / Pharmaceuticals — Medicine Return

Old medications should not be left in unsecured medicine cabinets, and are not safe to dump in the trash or down the drain.  Accidental poisonings and intentional misuse of medications is a serious problem.  Please take unwanted medicines to an accepted location for medicine disposal.  Click here for a list of sites in Thurston county that accept prescription drugs and other medications.

For additional information, here is a printable copy [PDF] listing locations of medicine drop boxes in Thurston County and how to safely dispose of medicines and medical equipment.

Needles / Syringes (Sharps)

Sharps must be placed in a sharps container or plastic 2-liter bottle, such as a soda bottle, with a tight-fitting lid or cap (do not use water bottles, which are not as strong). Tighten the lid and seal with tape. Place a label on the outside of the container or bottle indicating "syringes" or "sharps".

Properly prepared sharps containers may be placed in the trash.

Hot Topics
Popular Pages & Links
Fluorescent Bulbs

Dispose of Hazardous Materials


(recorded line)

Open Daily
8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Gates close at 4:45 p.m.

View Map
  • Household Hazardous
    Materials & Education

This page last updated: 10/20/20