• Hazardous Waste - Pollution Prevention
  • Hazardous Waste Management Plan
    Environmental Health
    Hazardous Waste
    Hazardous Waste - Response
      hazardous waste response  

    Spills Dept of Ecology

    Spills of oil or hazardous materials must be reported.

    Contact the Department of Ecology's Southwest Region at 360-407-6300 for spills occurring in Thurston County.

    To the best of your ability, please be ready with the following information:

    • Where is the spill?
    • What spilled?
    • How much spilled?
    • How concentrated is the spilled material?
    • Who spilled the material?
    • Is anyone cleaning up the spill?
    • Are there resource damages (e.g. dead fish or oiled birds)?
    • Who is reporting the spill? (This can be kept confidential if you choose)

    Complaint Response / Meth Labs

    County staff investigate citizen complaints involving alleged illegal dumping, improper disposal, and improper storage. Common investigations include:

    • Illegal dumping of used motor oil
    • Unsafe storage of hazardous waste drums
    • Spills resulting in contaminated soil, surface water, or groundwater...more

    Tacoma Smelter Plume

    The former Asarco copper smelter in Ruston, Washington, released arsenic, lead, and other harmful chemicals throughout the Puget Sound region. Learn how to reduce contact with contaminants in dirt. ...more

    Hot topics
    popular pages & LINKs

    Dispose of Hazardous Materials


    (recorded line)

    Open Daily
    8 a.m. to 4:45 p.m.

    Gates close at 4:45 p.m.

    View Map
    (see Google map)
    • Hazardous Waste
      Questions & Complaints

    • Used Motor Oil
    This page last updated: 07/09/21