words that say Thurston County

Thurston County facilities are now open to the public with restrictions, including maintaining physical distancing of at least six feet at all times and, per the Washington State Secretary of Health’s face covering order wearing a cloth face covering or mask. If you come to county facilities, please be prepared for potentially long wait times or lines due to distancing guidelines. We continue to encourage residents to access county services online, by phone, by email, or through the use of drop boxes located outside of county buildings.
The availability of remote services vary by office and department.

Click here for office and department contact information
Click here for information on COVID-19

Welcome to the Building Development Center

When visiting the BDC, in order to protect the health of staff and the public.

·  Please contact us by telephone or email if you are COVID-19 positive or exhibit any of the following symptoms:
   o   Fever
   o   Cough
   o   Difficulty Breathing
   o   Sore Throat
   o   Loss of Sense of                 Smell/Taste
   o   Muscle Pain Body          Aches/Fatigue
   o   Chills, Shaking
 · Maintain Physical
   Distancing of at least 6    feet
 · Wear cloth face
   coverings or masks
·  Cover Coughs/Sneezes
·  Wash Hands or Use    Sanitizer
 · Make your visit as brief    as possible

 News and Links

Hearing Examiner Public Hearing

!Check for Your Building Inspection Time! After 7:15

 You may need to clear your cache or browser history.  To do that, the fastest way is a short cut.

1.     Press all the keys [Ctrl], [Shift] and [del] on your Keyboard.

2.     Different Browsers will have different options.

3.     Pick the option that will clear the browsing history for the Thurston County Website.

2018 Building Code Amendments
Board adopts changes to the building code.

New rules for domestic wells

Stormwater Vesting Policy (PDF)

New Stormwater Standards

Critical Areas /Prairies

Development Code Docket

Title 26; Code Enforcement - Text Amendment

Skookumchuck Wind Energy Environmental Impact Statement - Notice of Availability


Thurston County is now in Phase 3.  The Building Development Center (BDC) is open regular hours from 8 a.m. – 4 p.m.  Please continue to check this website for the most up to date information on BDC hours of operation. 

While we are doing our best to ensure your safety and safety of staff, The County is encouraging staff to continue to telework. Although the BDC is open for in-person service, the County is committed to continue providing service to citizens in a modified manner via phone, email, no-contact drop box located in the courtyard of the courthouse complex, and by mail.

If you have general property or permitting questions, we encourage you to contact us through telephone or email.  The BDC will continue to accept certain applications and documents via email. If submitting an application via email, please be prepared to pay with a credit card.  A 2.35% credit card transaction fee will apply.

Services that can be obtained remotely and applications and documents accepted via email are listed below. 

  1. Community Planning & Economic Development/Development Services – General development questions related to zoning, shorelines, critical areas (gopher/prairie, wetlands, streams, floodplain, steep slopes, oak trees, etc.).
    ·  Email planning@co.thurston.wa.us
    ·  Call (360) 754-3355 ext. 6299

  2. Environmental Health (EH) Department – Questions related to septic systems, wells, water systems, record drawings
    ·    Email EH_Tech@co.thurston.wa.us
    ·    Call (360) 867-2673
    ·    Visit https://www.co.thurston.wa.us/health/ehadm/index.html for online regulations and general information

  3. Public Works Department, Development Review Section – Questions related to access, clearing & grading, stormwater drainage requirements.
    ·    Email DevRev_Tech@co.thurston.wa.us
    ·    Call (360) 867-2050 for information
    ·    Visit https://www.co.thurston.wa.us/publicworks/devrev.html 

  4. Permitting – For general permitting questions
    ·    Email permit@co.thurston.wa.us
    ·    Call (360) 754-3355 ext 7288
    ·    Permit Status – visit www.thurstoncountybdc.com and        click on check permit status in the quick tool box
    ·    Geodata Mapping – visit www.thurstoncountybdc.com and      scroll down to quick tool box
    ·    If inquiring about zoning, land use questions,                   gopher/prairie, shorelines, critical areas, call
         (360) 754-3355 ext 6299.

  5. Plans Examiner Questions- Questions related to residential and non-residential building code requirements 
    ·     Call (360)754-3355 ext. 7289
    ·     Email building@co.thurston.wa.us

  6. Building Inspections
    ·    Call (360) 754-3355 ext. 7289
    ·    Inspections are being conducted by the following      methods. An Inspector will call you to determine what      program or method you have available and set an      appointment
    -        Limited in Person
    -        Skype
    -        Facetime
    -        Zoom
    -        Duo inspections
    -        Video Submissions

  7. Compliance -
    ·    To report a potential code violation visit https://www.co.thurston.wa.us/permitting/enforce/enforce-form.aspx or for general compliance information email compliance@co.thurston.wa.us 
    ·    To report a potential violation regarding garbage, illegal dumping, failing septic system, improper storage of hazard wastes (gasoline, motor oil, etc.) or noise, visit https://www.co.thurston.wa.us/health_fpforms/ehadm
    ·    To report illegal dumping in storm drains, call
    (360) 786-5576
    ·    To report smoke or open fires  visit the Olympic Region Clean Air Agency at https://www.orcaa.org/forms-and-applications/complaint-form/

1.     Submit the following applications and requests to                   permit@co.thurston.wa.us 
        ·   Minor Permit Applications
        ·   Time of Transfers
        ·   Refund Requests   

2.     Submit the following applications to         DevRev_tech@co.thurston.wa.us
        ·   Access Permits
        ·   Encroachment Permit
        ·   Scoping Review Requests
        ·   Drainage Plans

Closed all Federal holidays
Thurston County Courthouse Complex, Building 1, 2nd Floorbr /> 2000 Lakeridge Drive SW (map & directions)  |  360-786-5490


Friendly staff help with building, plumbing and mechanical permits; planning, zoning  and land-use regulations; septic systems, wells and water testing.  Find forms, fee information and codes in the links on the left side of this page.  Use QUICK TOOLS to research properties, check a permit status, schedule an inspection and more. Full list of services.

Quick Tools

Information Line

Geodata Maps

Assessor Parcel Search
Parcel Search

Search Permit Archives
Permit Archives

Check Permit Status
Permit Status

Schedule Inspection

Auditor Record Search
Record Search

Septic Pump Reports






Community Planning & Economic

Development (CPED)

Development Services Division News


E-inspectionsSmart Phone

 Ready, Camera, Approval

They say a picture is worth a thousand words; and it may be enough to sign-off your inspection without a site visit.  Currently Thurston County will accept photos and videos for inspection review of minor projects or inspection corrections.

More info at: https://www.co.thurston.wa.us/permitting/landuse/inspect/inspect-home.html

Send your email with the information for review to Building@co.thurston.wa.us. Once viewed the inspector may request additional information or arrange a site visit.

Staff contact: Chris Edmark at (360) 786-5466 or chris.edmark@co.thurston.wa.us

CPED exploring online Customer User Interface

The Board of County Commissioners approved CPED moving forward on exploring new online tools for applicants to:

  • Submit and pay for building permits online
  • Obtain permit status
  • Obtain the permit electronically
  • Request building inspections (on-site, e-inspection, or other)
  • View inspection schedule and status

CPED is interested in receiving your input. To let us know your thoughts on this topic and how we can serve you better, please contact:
Sandy Norton at (360) 867-2106 or sandy.norton@co.thurston.wa.us