words that say Thurston County

Public Access is Closed to MOST County Facilities Due to COVID-19.

In response to Governor Inslee's Stay Home, Stay Healthy Order and Safe Start Plan, Thurston County continues to operate under
an essential services model.  This is in effect until Thurston County enters Phase 3 of the Safe Start Plan.
Courts and other elected offices may operate under different hours or restrictions.

(Solid waste facilities are open. For more information, visit: https://bit.ly/2SldUPq)
(For more information on the county's COVID-19 response, visit https://bit.ly/3ext6BG)
(For more information on essential functions, visit: https://bit.ly/3dwIBK8)
(For office contacts, visit: https://bit.ly/3bs7bdy)

Code Enforcement

Junk Vehicles

Thurston County receives several calls each day from citizens who are concerned about junk vehicles -- for good reason. Junk vehicles are an eyesore and a hazard to the environment.

How Thurston County responds to a junk-vehicle situation depends on whether the caller wants to remove a junk vehicle from his or her own property, or to lodge a complaint about a vehicle elsewhere in the neighborhood. Below are answers to common questions about Thurston County's junk vehicle program. (Junk vehicles are also referred to as "hulk" vehicles.)

What is a Junk Vehicle?

In Thurston County, junk vehicles are defined as any inoperable, abandoned, disassembled, or extensively damaged vehicle with two or more of the following conditions:

  • A build-up of debris, moss or weeds on, in, under, or around the vehicle that obstructs use.
  • Damage to the frame.
  • More than one missing or shattered window or windshield.
  • More than one inoperable or missing headlight or taillight.
  • More than one flat tire.
  • A missing or inoperable engine or transmission.
  • A missing wheel, tire, body panel, door, hood or other obvious body part, not including a bumper.
  • A missing license plate.
  • A license plate that has been invalid for more than 60 days.
  • A missing driver-side mirror.
  • Evidence that the vehicle has not been moved in at least 60 days.

The definition does not include special-interest vehicles, vehicles undergoing active restoration, farm machinery, or prominently displayed ornamental machinery.

There's a junk vehicle on my neighbor's property. Is there anything Thurston County can do about it?

Enforcement of the county junk vehicle law is done on a complaint basis. After a complaint is received, an enforcement officer visits a home or location and determines if the vehicle qualifies as "junk/hulk." The property owner is notified and required to remove the vehicle. If the property owner fails to remove the vehicle(s), a civil infraction may be issued.

To report a junk vehicle in unincorporated Thurston County (i.e., not in a city), submit an Investigation Request Form.

How Do I get Rid of a Junk Vehicle on My Own Property?

The answer depends on whether you have the title (own) the vehicle.

There's a junk vehicle along a public road. Whom should I call?

If the abandoned vehicle is on a state route or highway, call the Washington State Patrol at (360) 586-1999. If the vehicle is on a county-owned street, call the Thurston County Communications Center (TCOMM) at (360) 704-2740. If the vehicle is on a city-owned street, call the city.

Contact Us

Questions? Email us at junkvehicle@co.thurston.wa.us.


This page last updated: