words that say Thurston County


FAQ - Clearing and Grading

Who should I contact about questions about clearing and grading?

Call the Development Review Division of the Public Works Department at (360) 867-2050.

When do I need a permit?

Most new construction projects require a Construction Permit from the Public Works Department. This permit covers clearing, excavation and filling work, and erosion control. Click here to get the application (SA 014).

Permits are required for the following:

  • More than 7,000 square feet of a clearing activity (clearing and grubbing, conversion to lawn, conversion to pasture, etc.).
  • More than 50 cubic yards of grading.
  •  If any amount of grading or removal of vegetation is proposed within a Critical Area.

NOTE:  Whenever land is developed in Thurston County, the developer is required to submit a plan for controlling erosion and stormwater runoff that might result from the project.  This plan is required part of the permit-application process.  See the FAQ on the Drainage Design and Erosion Control Manual.

Will I Need to Go Through the SEPA Process?

Staff members from the Environmental Health Department will also review your proposal if you plan to grade, fill or excavate more than 500 cubic yards of material. In this case, you will be required to submit a SEPA checklist before a grading permit will be issued (SA 027).

Contact Us

Please click here for contact information.


This page last updated: