words that say Thurston County

Flood Information

News and Links

Flood Home

Flood FAQs

Elevation Certificates

Quick Tools for Surveyors  
Where to Get an Existing Certificate 
FEMA - Elevation Certificate & Instructions (external link)
Flood Insurance Rate Map - Example (PDF)
Flood Insurance Rate Map - Legend (PDF)
Flood Insurance Rate Map - Panel (PDF)
Overview of County Review of Elevation Certificates (PDF)
Photos - Reference Monuments and Floods


When applying for a building permit in a Special Flood Hazard Area, applicants are required to provide an pre-construction elevation certificate that confirms the vertical height requirement for flood protection.

Flood elevation certificates are forms designed by FEMA and completed by licensed surveyors or engineers. They show precisely where your home is (or will be) located in relationship to the Base Flood Elevation. After construction is complete, a new elevation certificate is required. 

Please remember: Property owners are, in effect, only able to build new structures in Special Flood Hazard Areas if they get a Reasonable Use Exception or in the case of a natural disaster or accident. Please click here to learn more.

Elevation certificates are also used:

  • By insurance agents and insurance companies to determine the proper flood insurance premium rates for individuals and businesses purchasing flood insurance polices through the National Flood Insurance Program.
  • By property owners to support a request to FEMA for a Letter Of Map Revision (LOMR) to remove a home or building from a Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA). Click here for more information.
  • By federally regulated lending institutions, and their flood zone determination vendors, to correct geographic errors made during the standard flood zone determination process.

Where to Get Elevation Certificates

First, check to see whether Thurston County already has an elevation certificate on file for your property. You can either visit the Thurston County Building Development Center Contact Page or call Tim Rubert at 867-2123 or find it on-line.  For on-line information you'll need your parcel number. If you don't know your parcel number go to the Thurston County GeoData website.  When you have your parcel number go to the Permit Assistance Center website click on Search Permit Archives icon.  Type in your parcel number and if there are any elevation certificates it will be listed. If Thurston County does not have an elevation certificate on file for your property, you will need to hire a professional surveyor.


If You Have Questions on Your Flood Designation

If you have questions about your flood designation, please contact Tim Rubert at 867-2123 or e-mail  rubert@co.thurston.wa.us.


This page last updated: