words that say Thurston County

Land Use Ordinances

Reasonable Use Exception

Thurston County property owners may apply for a "Reasonable Use Exception" if they believe the buffers and critical areas (frequently flooded areas, rivers, wetlands etc..) defined in the Critical Areas Ordinance leave them with no reasonable use of their properties.  Applicants must demonstrate that no other reasonable use can occur without impacting the critical area or buffers.

This process requires public notification and a public hearing. The approval authority is the Hearing Examiner for Thurston County.

In order to approve a Reasonable Use Exception, the Hearing Examiner must find that there is no other alternative for developing the property; the request will not threaten public health, safety or welfare; and that the alteration is the minimum necessary to allow reasonable use of the property.

red arrowGo to applications and forms.

Contact Us

Thurston County Building Development Center, 2000 Lakeridge Drive SW, Olympia, WA 98502-6045.
Phone: (360) 786-5490. TTY/TDD call 711 or 1-800-833-6388  E-mail: permit@co.thurston.wa.us.

This page last updated: