Water & Sewer Utilities

Thurston County Public Works supplies drinking water and sewer services for approximately 800 county residents. These services are only available in the following neighborhoods:

  • Tamoshan
  • Boston Harbor
  • Grand Mound
  • Olympic View (*only wastewater services in this neighborhood)

Having trouble paying your utility bill?
We’re committed to keeping our ratepayers connected during the COVID-19 pandemic emergency. If you are experiencing hardship as a result of COVID-19 we have options for you.


Utilities payment assistance due to COVID-19 impact:
  • Community Action Council Utilities Assistance Flyer
  • Community Action Council Utilities Assistance FAQ's
  • Download the Deferred Payment Plan Request
  • Read Governor Inslee’s proclamation on utility ratepayer assistance

  • Even if you have not been financially impacted by COVID-19, help is still available:
  • Bill payment assistance
  • Download the Payment Plan Request

  • Paying in person?
    You now have two options! Deliver your payment in person, or drop it off in the secure drop-box outside at our offices on Tilley Road during regular business hours.

    • For questions related to your bill, water usage, temporary water shut-off requests, or to establish or change service, call 360-867-2312.
    • For water leaks, water pressure issues, sewer issues, or STEP tank alarms, call 360-867-2288.
    • For after hours water & sewer emergencies, call 1-800-926-7761.