The Sheriff's Office is Now Open to the Public

Support Services Bureau - Firearms Unit

Apply for CPL

The Thurston County Sheriff’s Office Firearms Unit processes Concealed Pistol License applications for residents of Thurston County or Out-of-State residents. This unit is also responsible for processing Pistol Transfer applications for unincorporated Thurston County residents.

Concealed Pistol Licenses (CPL’s) are valid for 5 (five) years. Processing time for all CPL’s (Original, Renewal, Late Renewal and Replacement for Lost, Stolen, or Damaged) is approximately 30 days. It is recommended persons applying for a renewal license do so at least 30 days prior to expiration. If the expiration date has passed by more than 90 days it will be an original application.

Where to Apply:

  • City residents: may apply at the local law enforcement agency (police department) in the jurisdiction where they reside.
  • County residents (unincorporated): apply at the Thurston County Sheriff's Office online using the link at the top of the page (Apply for Online CPL) or at the Sheriff's office using the online kiosk.  Paper applications will no longer be accepted.

County Residents (unincorporated) Location to apply:
Thurston County Sheriff's Office
        2000 Lakeridge Dr. SW, Bldg. 3
        Olympia, WA  98502

Contact Information:
Phone:    (360) 786-5524
         Fax:        (360) 786-5275

Time of Operations:
Monday through Friday 8:30a - 4:30p.
         *Closed weekends and all government holidays.

ALIEN FIREARM LICENSE applicants must apply at the Thurston County Sheriff's Office.

Requirements to apply:

  • Resident of Thurston County or Out-of-State resident.
  • 21 years of age or older at time of application.
  • United States Citizenship.
  • No Felony convictions or prohibitive domestic violence convictions.
  • No pending trial, appeal or sentencing on a prohibitive charge.
  • No outstanding warrants for ANY charge, from ANY court.
  • No court order or injunction against possessing a firearm.

FEES for CPL's:  Cash, Check, Master/Visa Credit/Debit:

  • All fees are NON-REFUNDABLE. Payment is required at time of application.

Out-of-State Military Renewals

Members of the armed forces who cannot renew their license in-person because of their out-of-state assignment may renew online using the link at the top of the page:  Apply for Online CPL (within 90 days before or after the expiration date of the license). Upload copies of your ID and military orders.

Helpful Links: