Electronics and "technotrash"

tv stackManufacturers are now required by state law to offer recycling services for certain electronic items at no cost to residents, nonprofits, small businesses, schools and local governments. The law took effect January 1, 2009 and applies to the following items only:

  • TVs
  • Desktop computers
  • Laptop computers
  • Monitors
  • E-book readers (such as The Kindle and the Nook)
  • Portable DVD players
  • The state Department of Ecology is coordinating and enforcing the law through the E-CYCLE Washington program.

    Where should I take items for the E-CYCLE program?

    Items covered under the state law (as listed above) are accepted at collection sites authorized by the state Department of Ecology.

    What other options are available for electronics?

    Local businesses: Many local businesses accept working and nonworking electronics. Visit the Where Do I Take My? database for a list. Reusing products is even better than recycling, because the items don't need to be reprocessed before they can be used again.

    Where can I sell or donate items?

    If you have working electronic items of any type, try listing them on an online materials exchange website:

    Contact us

    Call the Solid Waste Info Line at (360) 867-2491 or e-mail ThurstonSolidWaste@co.thurston.wa.us.


    This page last updated: