It is the policy of the Superior Court to ensure that persons with disabilities have equal and full access to the judicial system.

Who may receive an accommodation?

Anyone with a disability who needs assistance in order to participate in a court proceeding, service, program or activity.  This form may be used by anyone.  What is a disability is defined by federal and state laws, including the Americans with Disabilities Act and the Washington Law Against Discrimination and applicable regulations.

What information does the court need?

Applicants must tell the court why they need the accommodation and what accommodation they would like.  This information will allow the court to decide if the request may be granted.  Medical records and medical information submitted under form WPF All Cases 01.0300, Sealed Medical and Health Information (Cover Sheet) shall be sealed automatically and will not be available to the public.  If the court lacks enough information to decide, it may ask the applicant for more information.

What accommodation may be requested?

Applicants may request accommodations that allow them to fully and meaningfully participate in a court proceeding.  Applicants should request the accommodation that will best allow them to do that.  A reasonable accommodation could be a sign language interpreter; changes to a courtroom's layout to improve lighting, hearing, or mobility; large print or high contrast documents and forms; hearings held by teleconference; extended time for hearings and recesses; or assistive listening and seeing devises; personal assistance or someone who can help present the case or claim to the court.

When should the form be filed?

The form should be filed as soon as applicants know they need an accommodation.  The court will usually need to receive the request at least five days before the accommodation is needed.  Requests coming in later than that will be granted if they are possible.

Who gets this information?

The request should be given to Court Administrative employees.  The request is presented ex parte, but may be filed in the public court record file where the public and other participants may see it.  Other participants or the public are not entitled to see any medical or health information that is filed under form WPF All Cases 01.0300, Sealed Medical and Health Information (Cover Sheet).

Must all requests be granted?

No.  If however, the applicant qualifies, the court will deny an accommodation request only if it would cause an undue burden, if it would fundamentally later the court proceeding; or it would threaten someone's safety or well-being.  The court must explain how the requested accommodation meets one of these criteria.

Who should I send this Request to?

Send the Request for Accommodation form to the Court Administrator at:

2000 Lakeridge Drive SW, Building 2, Olympia WA 98502

You can mail it, send it in person, or e-mail

The Court can give you a paper copy of the form, or can help you fill out the form. Call (360) 786-5559 or (360) 786-5560 if you have any questions or concerns.

Request for Reasonable Accommodation Form Instructions         

Request for Reasonable Accommodation Form                                 

Sealed Medical and Health Information (Cover Sheet)